Monday, August 14, 2006

Jumpstart!

In July, I went to the Black Writers and Reunion Conference in Dallas, Texas. I had a blast. Below is my report on my trip:

So I get to Dallas and see my friend Michelle at the airport. It is so hot down there, you feel like the devil himself is walking next to you while you're wearing gasoline-soaked underpants on. Yes, that hot. :) Even at 10 at night it's just that hot. Sheesh.

We get to the conference that evening and met quite a few people from all over the country. All of them were nice. We exchanged cards and chatted a bit and played a game. I watched Michelle's friend Vincent Alexandria play Dominos. Vincent is a hoot; I can see why he and Michelle are friends - or not.

Anyway, Saturday morning I get to registration and find out that I'm going to be meeting with an agent who had critiqued part of my work that I had previously sent in. I didn't know that was going to happen. I also find out that there's another agent there who represents Christian fiction and I get to pitch my book.

Nice.

Now I'm terrified.

I wasn't planning on any of this. I get Michelle to help me work on my pitch in between sessions. The sessions were very good and very helpful. I got some great marketing tips from Reshonda Tate Billingsley. I previously read one of her books so it was good to meet her in person. I even had my picture taken with her and she sent my friend an autographed copy of another book when I told her how much she enjoyed it!

Lunch was a discussion panel on how to combat the black male crisis through literature. Very enlightening. Vincent is the moderator. He is surprisingly articulate and very funny. (No offense Vincent!) Afternoon sessions are also good. Now it's time to go to the pitches.

First, there was a critique session with Agent #1. She's very nice and when I introduce myself she says, "Oh you're Donna Deloney." I'm scared; she smiles. She tells me she was impressed and that I should seek representation. Who, me? I'm thinking. I smile and nod and say thank you, all the while my head is about to explode it's getting so big.

Okay, now I'm freaking out. So I go across the room (about 8 feet) to meet with Agent #2. Here I have to actually pitch the book. She's asking me all sorts of questions, then hands me a release form to sign. Our conversation gets really interesting and she asks to see the first three chapters. Now my head is officially ready to pop off my neck. Yes, I have met with two agents who are interested in my work. Representation? A possibility. But they like my work! They really do! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! This is so overwhelming because this is the first time that I've ever had industry professionals review my work or listen to my pitch about the book. And somehow, through the grace of God, I have impressed them! Lil' ol' me. How amazing is that!

That evening, we went to the "reception" then went to dinner with two nice women - Alicia and "Big Mama" who is a size 4 and hilarious. Lovely. Yes, very lovely indeed. It's hotter than blazes and we're at Macaroni Grill and they have a fireplace. What does any restaurant in Dallas need with a fireplace?!

Sunday is final sessions and we had a great time just talking with everyone. I introduce Michelle to Agent #1, who was so impressed with her editing work on my manuscript that she is going to start sending work her way. Michelle is over the moon and I am too for her. Plus, being the only editor there, she made lots of contacts and several people have asked her to edit their manuscripts. You go, girl!

It was bliss being in the company of published, known authors and those who are trying to get there but all on the same page and like-minded and all looking like us. I now understand what Nirvana is.

Sunday evening I go to Michelle's house and quickly review the first three chapters of my manuscript and send them off to Agent #2. Then it's time to pack and get ready to go home to my men (whom I'm missing terribly by this time).

I leave Dallas and return to Chicago, only to find that the devil has found me and brought a spare pair of gasoline soaked underpants. Oh, and the air conditioner in my bedroom at home is busted. Fun.

In the next episode, watch Donna try to figure out how to keep her inflated ego in check and satisfy the needs of the agents...

In Him,
Donna

2 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger tia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words always make me smile! I wish all my clients were like you. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog and I'm sure Vincent appreciates it as well. Have fun blogging, I'll definitely have fun reading them!

-Your girl...Michelle (the Editor)!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home