Monday, August 13, 2007

Marchin' and Meltin'

In the blazing heat of the August sun, my family and I set up camp on 43rd & King Drive and took in the sights and sounds of the Bud Billiken parade. It was an amazing event. Everyone seemed to be having a good time in spite of the heat.

The highlight for me was seeing the grand marshals, President... er, um, Senator Barack Obama and his lovely wife, Michelle. My son thought seeing Mickey and Minnie Mouse was cooler (of course, he is only 3). But he LOVED seeing all the marching bands ("drums" as he called them) and the black rodeo riders on horseback. And up until he saw the inflatable soccer ball he just had to have, the whole parade was fascinating.

I have to confess: I didn't want to attend the parade. I'm not an outdoor person by nature and sitting/standing in the wilting heat was not my idea of fun. Still, it was worth going, encouraging the high school marching bands (some in full dress uniform) and participants and spending time with the family.

Will we do it next year? Probably, if my hubby has anything to say about it. As for the look on my son's face when he saw Ronald McDonald standing in his giant red shoe rolling down the street? Priceless!

In Him,
Donna

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home