Monday, November 27, 2006

Everything is all-write...

How was Thanksgiving for you? It was terrific for me. At the last minute, dh (that's darling hubby in net-speak) and I decided to host dinner at our home. By last minute, I mean Tuesday morning. We did all the shopping on Wednesday, and the cooking and cleaning on Thursday. We were exhausted, but it was well worth it. It's a blessing to have your family under one roof, even if it's only for a few hours!

I tried to spend some of the time writing this weekend, but the minute I got started, I got sleepy and I couldn't focus. I did manage to get a couple of paragraphs written though just so I could say I did write something.

So today I'm back at work and during lunch, I decided to try writing. I pulled out my handy-dandy notebook. But alas, I couldn't find my pens! Yes, there are about a dozen pens scattered all over my desk. But not my writing pens.

You may be thinking, "A pen is a pen is a pen." Ordinarily, you might be right. But I have found when writing longhand that you become one with the pen you choose. It has to have the right balance, the right color ink, the right thickness, etc. And for me, I have to have the Pentel RSVP, Medium Point, black ink. Over the years, I've found that this pen is the best writing instrument for me for long term writing.

Here's another quirk. I actually have one of my writing pens in my purse. Only it doesn't have the cap to it. I find it really disconcerting to write with one of those pens without a cap. Don't ask me why. (My son dug in my purse and uncapped all the pens. I found two of them but left the pens on the kitchen counter this morning.)

If I am writing down a grocery list or directions or a phone message, any old pen will do. But to write, I need my pens.

Is this an excuse for not writing? Maybe. But I know that I write better and longer when I have my pens - with the cap attached.

Guess it's time for another trip to Wal-Mart to pick up another pack of pens - and a locking pencil case.

Do you have any writing or reading quirks - or rituals of another nature? Share with the class!

In Him,

Donna

1 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Ananda said...

hi donna.

i loved your post. i love writing with blue ink from this pen i got at a conference. it just makes me feel good to write with it. i love to write in my journal, but sometimes i have to make do with the back of scrap paper. that's what happened today when i was writing about my style of writing at mocha hut while sipping my chai soy latte and reading the december issue of essence. i also like to sip chai when i write. and the places i like to write best are in my daisy yellow kitchen, mocha hut cafe on 13th and u streets in dc, love cafe on 15th and u, cyberstop cafe on 17th street, 24/7 cafe on 14th and u, and starbucks on 16th and u. lately, i have been writing on the pages of books that i am reading. i get a lot of inspiration from certain authors. it just flows like that.

peace and creativity, ananda

ps: i discovered your blog on blogging in black. i will be back to read more of your words. they inspire me on my journey. thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home