Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mayberry Lives - NOT!!!

I just read an article in which weapons were confiscated at a high school in a small town in Michigan. There was no indication of another Columbine; two students were in custody but no arrests had been made. One of the parents was quoted as saying, "...this isn't supposed to happen here."

When I hear statements like that, I often wonder what the person who says that is thinking. It's 2007. Mayberry and Mayfield never existed, except in the minds of some wistful television writers. Granted, every generation can point to a time when life seemed simpler and the idea of a child bringing a gun to a school (other than a water gun) was unheard of. But it's 2007.

And why doesn't it happen "here"? Why is your "here" better than my "here"? It shouldn't be happening anywhere and yet it's happening everywhere. Gangs, drugs, and guns are no longer "urban" problems; they're problems in small town USA, farmland USA, and suburban USA.

Sadly, the more accurate statement should be, "I'm surprised it took this long to happen here."

In Him,
Donna

5 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger bettye griffin said...

If anything, it seems like the Mayfield of Leave It To Beaver fame is a more likely setting for a school shooting, since - at least to me - it looked fairly affluent. I think all the school shootings had that one factor in common, whether it was Pearl, Mississippi, or out in Colorado.

I used to worry about my niece, who attended high school in an affluent area in St. Johns County, Florida. Thank God there have been no incidents there, three years after her graduation.

Just when we think this horrible trend has stopped, here comes another one.

I do believe in my heart that most parents love their children and want the best for them and try to be involved. I wish I knew what the problem was . . .

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Donna D said...

Bettye,

I agree with you on the last point. I think that the bullying situation has gotten out of control and that some kids feel they have no choice but to use a weapon to exact revenge.

I have no answers either. It's such a shame...

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Norma said...

Great topic Donna. I just watched the news where Jesse Jackson was marching against gun shops and gun laws.

It amazes me that people still think there is a safe place in this country, as if Satan only dwells in urban cities and "certain neighborhoods." This is a national crisis and it has no boundaries, color or neighborhood distinction. My prayer is that gun laws will eventually be changed, but until then, that parents and those of us who do not have our heads buried in the sand, will watch out for the enemy who seeks to kill, steal and destroy.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger PatriciaW said...

Hi Donna! Popped over from Bettye's blog. Caught up on all your posts.

Since we're both aspiring writers--although you have an agent and I'm still working on the first full-length manuscript--thought it might be nice to connect.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Donna D said...

Hi all,

This is not nearly as bad as what's going on in Jena, LA. More on that to come.

Thanks for stopping by.

Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home